Tenants Handbook



You should notify us of these changes by contacting the Housing Department (Room 113, City Hall or telephone (021) 4966222) or your Area Housing Office and your rent will be reviewed. Any adjustments will be backdated accordingly.

It should be noted that failure to provide details when requested might result in the application of a Notional Rent.

Q: What can I do if I am unable to pay my rent?

A: The way in which the rent is calculated means that you should be able to afford your weekly rent. If, for any reason, you are unable to pay your rent, please inform the Housing Department immediately. Always try to avoid allowing your rent account fall into arrears. If you are in arrears, the sooner you tackle the problem the better.

Q: How do I make an arrangement to clear rent arrears?

A: You should contact the Housing Department. The next step is to work out a reasonable plan to clear off the arrears and agree this plan with the Housing Department. Once you make an agreement, it is imperative that you adhere to it

Q: Will I be taken to Court for rent arrears?

A: Yes, if you refuse to come to a

reasonable agreement or if you do not keep to the agreed payments plan, Cork City Council will serve a Notice- to-Quit and take you to Court. This will lead to eviction. Once at the eviction stage you are still responsible for all the arrears and the legal costs.


Powered by