5 Cork City Library Grand Parade
Open 10am to 5.30pm. Partial wheelchair access
Cork City Library is currently celebrating 130 years of service to the citizens of the city. Cork was the first Irish city to adopt the Public Libraries (Ireland) Act, 1855, but it was not until 1892 that Cork Corporation established a public library, in what is now the Crawford Municipal Gallery. In 1905, the Library moved to a new building in Anglesea Street designed by architect Henry A. Cutler. Funded by Scottish-American philanthropist Andrew Carnegie, the site was provided by the Corporation on Anglesea Street, adjoining City Hall. This library, along with many other city-centre buildings, was destroyed by arson attacks on the night of 10/11 December 1920 by British armed forces. The city was without a public lending library for almost four years, until a lending service was restored in temporary premises in no. 2 Tuckey Street, in September 1924. A new purpose-built library was constructed with a façade in the Hiberno-Romanesque style at no. 57 Grand Parade and was opened to the public in September 1930. ‘Hugenot Links with Cork’, an illustrated talk by Dr. Alicia St. Leger on the Hugenot connection with Cork. 11am. Heritage and Biodiversity Exhibition Launch ‘Growing our own, the sustainable history of Cork’s gardening culture’ 12pm. Cork’s Athenaeum: A Burnt Legacy, a talk by Pat Duggan on Cork’s Athenaeum (the old Cork Opera House) which was destroyed by fire in December 1955. 1.30pm. No booking required for the talks and launch.
17
Powered by FlippingBook