Cork Heritage Open Day Brochure 2026

St Joesph’s

42

Established in 1830, St Joseph’s Cemetery is a historic graveyard located at Tory Top Road on the Southside of Cork city. Originally known as Lilliput, it began as a Botanic Gardens from 1809 to 1828. In 1830 Father Theobald Mathew opened it as a cemetery. Approximately 220,000 people are buried in the cemetery including Fr Mathew and there are 5540 Headstones & Monuments. There are many fine monuments within the Cemetery created by nationally recognised Cork sculptors and stone cutters such as Seamus Murphy, John Hogan and Patrick Scannell. There is a mass Famine Grave in St. Joseph’s Cemetery with around 13,000 people buried here. When the Workhouse opened in St Finbarr’s Hospital in 1840, approximately 100 bodies a week were brought here and covered with lime and soil. The cemetery is the final resting place of many important Cork families and many historically famous people such as: Suttons (Business and Merchant Sea), Lyons (Business and Political life), Maguires (Founders of the Cork Examiner), Redmond John Barry (Lord Chancellor of Ireland), Daniel Corkery (Writer and Politician), Mary MacSwiney (Irish republican activist and teacher), Kathy Barry (Coal Quay Trader) and Paddy O’Flaherty, who gave his name to “Paddy”, the well-known brand of whiskey. Cork City Council took over control of the cemetery in 1947. The burial records for the cemetery are available online for burials from 1877-1917 at www.corkarchives.ie A guided tour of St Joesph’s Cemetery with Finbarr Barry will take place at 11am. ¶ Booking essential on www.corkheritageopenday.ie Cemetery Tory Top Road, Turners Cross, Ballyphehane Tour at 11am. Partial wheelchair access

60

Powered by