Cork Heritage Open Day Brochure 2026

Masonic Hall

38

Tuckey Street Open 12pm to 5pm. Talk at 12pm. Partial wheelchair access

The Masonic Hall on 27 Tuckey Street has been the home of Freemasonry in Cork since 1844. It is believed that the ground and first floors of the building were constructed c1770. The top floor was built during 1924 to 1925, and it opened in January 1926. Downstairs there are display cabinets containing historic items relating to important events in the life of the Masonic Order including old Masonic aprons, levels and badges from the 18th century. One of the levels displayed was used at the laying of the foundation stone of St. Patrick’s Bridge and St Fin Barre’s Cathedral. A section of this room is devoted to the Hon Mrs Elizabeth Aldworth (nee St. Ledger) the only female ever to be admitted to the Masonic Order. Upstairs the Lodge Room contains stalls and panelling which are over 300 years old having come from the former St. Fin Barre’s Cathedral. The banners on the walls are the coats of arms of some of the highest- ranking members of the Free Masons, those over the stalls belong to the present members and those higher up towards the ceiling belonged to deceased members. The figures which surround the large mosaic are the plaster casts used in making the four Evangelists which surround the west window in St Fin Barre’s Cathedral. The Lodge Room is used every month from September to May by the seven lodges which meet in Cork City. A talk on three centuries of freemasonry in Munster (1726 to 2026) will take place at 12pm. Masonic Hall will be open until 5pm. No booking required.

56

Powered by